Running a small business and start-up business, like SOHO-, SMB-, Micro-, Lifestyle-, Home-, DIY-, Hobby-, Boomer- or Personal business, like professional, contractors, freelancer, self-employed, sole-trader and virtual assistants from home, is one of the most cost-effective ways to start a business, so here are some costs I can foresee:
- Office Set-Up. You may have a desk and computer and internet already, the kitchen table can often be used for your production work, depending what you do, it may be the garage. If you do not have desk, computer, buy some second hand stuff, look in the local paper, ebay or other auction sites, to find what you need cheap. I estimate $1,000 / £500 for that one off, if you don’t have the office equipment.
- Telephone & Fax. Get a second telephone line, get your faxes via email and get someone to answer your telephone. Use a virtual assitant, I hate small businesses who do not answer their telephones, it’s one of the biggest business turn-off’s. Estimated set-up cost $100 / £ 50, monthly cost about $60 / £ 30 per month.
- Online Presence and E-Commerce. I am a little biased here – use our OnlineOffice and get your web-site – for customer information, e-shop – for selling online, online blog – for marketing and PR, online file-store – to keep you data safe, accounting software – to work with your accountant online in real time, and be able to outsource and work with virtual assistants, to save time, money and make yourself look professional. This all includes free 24/7 live support. Per month $20 / £10.
- Accountant and Bookkeeper. Important, to get an accountant as early as possible, to plan your cash-flow talk about special rules that apply for taxation, insurance and other red-tape. One of you most important business partners if you get your choice right. Estimate on average $100 / £50 per month, the initial consultation should be free.
- Bootstrapping. Do not spend any money on flyers and other printed material, don’t spend any money on any marketing until you can afford it and you know you will get a result – because it’s all free on the internet.
So you are looking at a professionally run home-office with telephone and accountant back-up for a total set-up cost of around $ 1,100 / £550 and a monthly average cost of $180 / £90. You may need some insurance, depending where and what you do?
This is the cost for running your small business from home, your accountant can talk to you about tax-breakes for working from home too. ST
Disclaimer: As with any of my readers questions, I do not have all the answers and this is not business advice, since I only know very little about your business. If any of you can add anything here do so for the benefit of my reader, who asked the question and everybody else, leave a comment below – I thank you for your effort.