This is my last rant of the week – I promise, but what angers me most, is the inability of politicians to understand one simple truth, if we want to deal with the future challenges like global warming, rising fuel prices, crime and traffic gridlock, we need more small businesses, and many, many more home businesses. It is not important if these businesses want to grow or not.
Looking at the problems of fuel prices and traffic gridlock – it is estimated that the peak of oil-production could be upon us by 2012, this will mean that oil prices will rise dramatically. This in turn will do enormous damage to our economy, triggering probably more than one recession – in fact some believe we could see the biggest recession ever – dare I say more.
If government had the insight to really help small and home business, this would have the following effects:
- less congested roads, because people would work from home or in their local communities,
- partly protect our economy from the effects of the oil-price rise to be expected,
- with less travel, we would need less roads, public spending would be affected positively,
- the environment would benefit enormously.
This kind of small business support may very well help in areas, not immediately obvious like crime, health and in local communities:
- crime, because our kids would find someone at home when they get home, I have written about this before;
- health, the hours of work, especially travel, to and from work would diminish, this would give more free time to people and this in turn my very well help with some stress related health problems, or less drug abuse because of better child supervision, due to home and local working;
- local communities, would become more vibrant again, with all it’s social benefits.
So why is government so hell bent on making small business and start-up business, like SOHO-, SME, SMB-, Micro-, Lifestyle-, Home-, DIY-, Hobby-, Boomer- or Personal business, like professional, contractors, freelancer, self-employed, sole-trader and virtual assistants, a target?
Answer: Lack of vision. ST.
UPDATE: As if just to prove my point – Oil Prices touch above $90 level – say no more!