Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from India:
- Economic growth can be stepped up: India Inc: New Delhi: Captains of the Indian business community welcomed the Economic Survey of 2007-08.
- Virgin Mobile enters telecom space with Tatas: Mumbai: Virgin Group today entered into the Indian telecom market by inking a brand franchis…
- Delhi Business School opens campus in Srinagar: Srinagar, Mar 3: Delhi Business School (DBS) has opened its new campus in Srinagar with the objective of providing quality management education to the aspiring students in the Valley. andnbsp;The school offers an array of specializations in MBA and BBA programs. Apart from conventional specializations such as marketing, finance, and human resources, DBS is also offering specialization in thriving areas like retail, hospitality and tourism, infrastructure and real estate, hospital
- Income tax rates today are the lowest ever: The Indian taxpayer never had it so good. Believe it or not, the income tax exemption limit today is higher than it has ever been in India, even if we adjust earlier limits for inflation.
- India still Asia’s reluctant tiger: How has India’s economic miracle been possible in a country where poverty is so widespread and where more than a third of people are still illiterate?
- Little change for small boys of industry: There are roughly one crore registered and unregistered small scale industries (SSIs) in the country. The Budget 2008-09 has left them virtually untouched.
- ‘Boardroom women not less experienced’ : Women appointed to corporate boards bring different “but not less-business experience than men” as has been assumed for long, according to a new study.
- Taxing times ahead for mergers and acquisitions: Finance ministry has amended the Income Tax Act to hold a company liable to pay penalty, if it has not deducted the tax at source while entering into a deal.
- Airtel launches a range of M-Commerce solutions: New Delhi: Airtel on Tuesday announced the launch of a whole range of M-Commerce solutions su…
- Complete loan waiver announced for small farmers: The Finance Minister presented the federal budget for 2008/09, the fifth and final full one before elections due by May 2009.
- Idea Cellular to spend $250 mn on expansion: India’s sixth-largest wireless telecoms firm, Idea, will invest Rs 10 bn expanding its network in Gujarat.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.