Employing a public relations specialist is a luxury that the majority of SME’s cannot afford. They will often out-source PR projects because they do not have the skills in-house to effectively manage them. If you have a good PR skill set then you will always be in demand and could easily start your own business from home.
Skills needed: The most important asset you will need is the ability to communicate an idea or message successfully. Excellent oral and written skills are necessary for this, along with a creative personality. It will help you to have had a background in PR, but there are no real barriers to entry for talented graduates with degrees in public relations, advertising or marketing and an impressive portfolio.
Business Environment and Set-up Cost: This business can be run from your own home and start-up costs will be minimal if you already own the equipment (computer, software, scanner, fax and printer). You may require some powerful image editing software such as Adobe PhotoShop. There will also be some costs involved in designing, developing and hosting your website. Depending on how much of this you already own, the overall cost will vary from under £1000 up to £4000.
- Promote through related mailing lists and newsletters or start your own.
- Submit your site to search engines and consider joining popular pay-per-click schemes
- Target local businesses in your region as this is where most of your work will come from.
- Make sure your business is listed in regional online business directories.
- Get as many links as possible on websites and directories relevant to your target market
- Use OnlineOffice to set up web-site, blog and online shop to promote your business online
Complimentary business idea: Offer other marketing services like customer surveys and product evaluations then cross-promote these to your existing customer base.
Notes: You will be entering a very competitive market due to the few barriers to entry. It is important you provide the highest quality service possible. Do not take on more work than you can comfortably handle by yourself or you will end up letting down your customers..
- Press Dispensary – an example of the services you could offer
- PR News Online – all the latest public relations news
- Online Public Relations – a comprehensive links repository