Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from Canada:
- TW Telecom forecasts slower growth: TW Telecom Inc. expects to see its third-quarter revenue growth slowed by a lagging economy in the Midwest and southeastern United States and as it disconnects very small businesses that aren’t paying their bills. (TWTC)
- Carbonite secures additional funding: Carbonite Inc., a provider of online backup services for consumers and small businesses, said today it has closed its C round of financing. “The round provides Carbonite with approximately $20 million of new capital, bringing the total raised by…
- How to prepare your small business for a disaster: When hurricane season ends, how many do something about the risks? There are simple and cheap steps you can take that will provide basic protection against your business and its infrastructure in the case of disasters, both small and large.
- Going Beyond the Napkins: A citywide business plan competition is kicking off tomorrow, offering new entrepreneurs $45,000 in prizes.VenturePrize London will be launched at the London Convention Centre at 11 a.m. and is being hailed by organizers as a celebration of the city’s entrepreneurial spirit.The competition will see start-up businesses and those less than two years old each submit a business plan for judging by a panel determining first- and second-prize winners.
- Fundfindr presents at Funding your Small Business seminar: One of the many partnerships we are pleased to have have developed these past months is with Small Business BC- BC’s leading resource for small business education, seminars, events and services like business plan reviews. fundfindr CEO, Bret Conkin, will present tips on funding your small business to a Vancouver audience and up to 40 additional videoconferenced locations across the Province of BC. Topics will include equity, social lending and social media.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.