Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from the United Kingdom and Ireland:
- WinWeb Supports Global Entrepreneurship Week 2008: WinWeb announces today it’s global support for Global Entrepreneurship Week 2008 and Make Your Mark – Enterprise Week 2008 running from November 17th to the 23rd, to foster small business start-ups and the entrepreneurs of the future.
- Business is our lifeblood: Conservative leader David Cameron says the Government is more concerned with talking jargon than helping struggling small businesses.
- The Government releases small business rescue package: The Government has launched a number of initiatives to help small firms succeed in the current economic climate.
- Small business lending forum announced: The Government today announced the creation of a forum for small businesses to address the problem of curbs on lending.
- Small business and banks to meet regularly: The first gathering of what will be a reconstituted “Small Business Forum” will take place within three weeks, when it will be decided whether to bring the warring sides together on a quarterly or monthly basis.
- Small business closures hit 280 a week: About 280 small companies are going out of business every week and the number could increase as the downturn continues to bite, according to the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB).
- Small firms hit hard by 9.9% inflation rate: THE costs of running a small business are soaring at twice the rate of inflation, experts warned last night.
- Help Financial Mail fight for small business: Financial Mail has always been the voice of small business, consistently covering and campaigning on the issues that matter to smaller companies now facing the uncertainty of recession.
- Business giants call to scrap ‘tax on hardship’: Leading companies have joined forces with small businesses to demand that the Government scraps its tax on empty properties
- RBS to champion small firms: RBS will announce the appointment of a new chairman for small business banking with a three-pint plan for improving life for small firms
- FSB Launches Financial Helpline For Small Businesses: The Federation Of Small Businesses (FSB) has launched a new financial helpline to it’s members, the new service became available on 23 October.
- Small Retailers Groups Take On Mastercard: Groups representing small retailers have attacked Mastercard over plans to increase membership charges and the introduction of a new ‘development’ fee.
- Small Business Survival Fund Proposed by FSB: The Federation Of Small Businesses (FSB) have issued the following release of their proposal for a new £1bn Small Business Survival Fund To Save The UK Economy.
- Irish software company in world final: Beyond Encryption Technologies Ltd, an endpoint security software specialist, has been selected as the leading European security start-up company in an international competition seeking to highlight the world’s most promising security technologies.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.