Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from Canada:
- Meet Your Lawmakers Now:The 111th Congress will convene in January with pro-small business lawmakers in the minority and a strong labor movement pushing its anti-small business agenda. Because of the challenges that will be presented for small business, it’s important to establis…
- Viking Direct/Office Depot and WinWeb Announce Exclusive Strategic Alliance to Help Small Business: Leicester / London (UK), December 2, 2008 Viking Direct – part of Office Depot, a leading global provider of office products and services – together with WinWeb, the leading on-demand small business infrastructure provider, announced that they have entered into an exclusive strategic alliance to provide Viking Direct’s small business customers with access to WinWeb’s OnlineOffice™ product.Viking Direct has been granted exclusive rights by WinWeb to offer OnlineOffice™ in the office supplies sector in the UK.
- Small Employers Shedding Jobs: Payrolls at small businesses fell to a seven-year low in November, ADP reports.
- Small Business Owners Are Happy: That’s the primary finding of a survey by American Express. “(D)espite demanding workloads, high stress levels and worries about the state of the economy Canada’s legion of small business owners are…
- Brampton builder jailed for unfair business practices: TORONTO, Dec. 5 – Pichas Tofman, operator of Primo Home Builders in Brampton, will spend 20 days in jail for engaging in unfair business practices under Ontario’s consumer protection laws. The Ministry of Small Business and Consumer Services’ Consumer Protection Branch began investigating Mr. Tofman in August 2005. The invest….
- In an open letter CFIB’s Catherine Swift urges federal political leaders to put interests of country first: Toronto – The leaders of the four major federal political parties have been sent an Open Letter by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) urging them to place the needs and concerns of small business and all citizens before their own political desires.
- How To Find The Best Deal On Health Insurance: A shopping strategy for entrepreneurs and the unemployed.
- Best Business Opportunities 2009: You don’t need a crystal ball to know that the coming year is going to be riddled with economic uncertainty and consumer anxiety. Some countries are already in recession and…
- Small Increase in Canadian International Reserves in November: (CEP News) Ottawa – Canada’s international reserves increased by US$163 million in November to US$41.565 billion, the federal finance department announced Wednesday.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.