Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from the United States:
- Web-based hiring halls filling workforce gaps: Outsourcing started as a corporate trend, driven by large companies that had the sophistication to shift factory and office work to English-speaking locations overseas. Now new online tools are giving small businesses and entrepreneurs the same ability to…
- s More Relief Ahead for Small Business?: The tax code offers small business owners many tax breaks to choose from, including some recent additions, and others may be on the way.
- Small Payroll, but Big Woes on Insurance: The recession has accelerated the pressure on small-business owners to cut employee health coverage.
- WinWeb Offers Low Price Guarantee To Small Businesses & Home Offices.: Winweb offers all small business owners a low price guarantee on it’s OnlineOffice product, resulting in savings of over 75% on essential small business IT spend. In real numbers this means a saving of over $1,100 for US small businesses and over £680 for UK small businesses.
- Latino Small businesses shaken down by landlords: Nearly one in three Latino small business owners say unscrupulous landlords are demanding cash bribes before negotiating new leases – and more than half say they’re struggling to keep their doors open.
- Small Businesses Critical of Stimulus: Some owners and industry lobbyists think the packages ignore the entrepreneurial sector.
- Home Office and Small Business Save Over 75% On Essential IT Spend.: We all understand how online software can bring about a massive saving in IT spend. Using this technology, currently labelled ‘cloud computing’, has other benefits for small business too. Some solutions maximize savings by tailoring their offering to a special market. You can spend £15 /month on accounting software alone or get much much more for 20 % less spend – the savings are out there you just need to look.
- Is More Relief Ahead for Small Business?: WITH the economy in terrible shape, owners of small businesses could use a break. The tax code offers many to choose from, including some recent additions, and others may be on the way.
- Small business loans available for damage from wind storm: Austria said the U.S. Small Business Administration is providing the loans to those small businesses affected by the excessive rain and hurricane force winds that blew through Ohio on September 14, 2008 and throughout the fall
- Small business will need to lead recovery: The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) believes the newly updated New York Small Business profile contains a message: New York’s economic recovery will depend on small business.
- Job losses at small companies could reach 2 million by 2010: As the recession bores deeper into the economy, small and medium-size businesses are showing the effects by shedding workers at a rapid pace.
- Fed Steps Back From February Plan to Start TALF Loans (Update1) : Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) — The Federal Reserve stepped back from plans to start lending this month under a $200 billion program to prop up consumer and small-business credit, saying it will announce a start date later in February.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.