Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from Canada:
- Family Day tugs on small business bottom line: While Family Day gives employees in a few provinces a mid-winter long weekend, it’s also a time for businesses to grumble about the cost.
- Laid off? Maybe It’s Time to Start a Small Business: Starting your own business and becoming self-employed is one solution when you’ve lost your job. Looking back at it afterwards, it may even turn out that losing your job was…
- Culture of innovation attracts startups: There’s plenty of reasons why moving to Silicon Valley could benefit Canadian small businesses, rather than Canada’s own high-tech hubs — Ottawa and Waterloo, Ont.
- When to cut a deal, when to run: Reducing prices can help keep customers and create goodwill. But it can also damage your business
- Media Advisory – Ontario to announce support for local craft brewery: TORONTO, Feb. 10 – Harinder Takhar, Minister of Small Business and Consumer Services, MPP John Milloy and MPP Leeanna Pendergast will announce funding under the Ontario Craft Brewers Opportunity Fund. << Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 Time: 9:00 a.m. – Minister’s tour of the Brick Brewery Com.
- Small businesses caught in web of possibilities: There are a lot of “re” words associated with recession – re-thinking, re-tooling, re-positioning and re-shuffling.
- Improved Wal-Mart greater threat to small business : AFTER CONSIDERABLE research and high-level strategic planning, Wal-Mart is retrenching itself in the market to fight through the recession.
- Small businesses bear cost of Family Day: advocacy group: A new holiday meant to bring Ontario families together may do the trick and boost morale but as the economy sags it’s also being shunned as an unwanted tug on small business’s bottom line.
- Financing, With Strings Attached: Small business owners should think carefully before accepting an investor’s offer of cash.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.