Here is this week’s news round-up for home business, small business, micro business, sole-traders, freelancers, self-employed and any one who is interested in small business news from Canada:
- Business Phone Systems: Full featured business phone systems have traditionally been out of reach for small businesses but the smart new generation of small business phone systems have all of the features of their larger counterparts without the big business prices.
- Income Tax Deductions: This three part article on small business tax deductions covers keeping track of your business expenses throughout the year, tax deductions related to the cost of doing business, and home business tax deductions. This page provides specific information about home business tax deductions that home business owners can deduct on their income tax.
- Register for PST/RST: Do you have to register for PST (Provincial Sales Tax) or RST (Retail Sales Tax) when you start a business? In Canada, that depends on what province or territory you’re starting a business in. Here are the details with links to PST/RST registration information.
- Getting a Business Number: Does your Canadian business need a Business Number? And how do you get a Business Number if you need one? This entry in the Starting a Business FAQ explains who needs a Business Number and how to register for one if you do.
- Business Loans for Women: Are you a Canadian woman looking for a small business loan? That’s the focus of this article – small business loans and business assistance that is only available to women. See if you fit the criteria for any of these women’s small business loan programs.
- Filing Income Tax Late: What happens if you file your income tax late. Part of the income tax FAQ for Canadian small businesses.
- Retail sales still dropping: Falling retail sales in B.C. are forecast to drop even more this year, a trend that has Retail BC’s president and CEO wondering where it’s all going to end.
- Data Backup: What media is best for data backup? Here’s the lowdown on different data backup systems ranging from CDs through online data backup and why offsite data backup is important for protecting business data.
As always this list is not exhaustive, but I hope it will give you a little overview. — ST.