Top 5 Tips posts are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. With the price of fuel so high, now is a good time to make sure that everyone who is expected to drive for your business understands how they should be expected to drive. If this means sending them on a training course, then so be it. Nearly 33% of the fuel consumption of a vehicle is affected by how the driver acts.
2. Make sure that your drivers don’t waste fuel by sitting and idling during the workday. Air conditioned vehicles in particular will use a huge amount of fuel when idling.
3. Check whether you or anyone on your workforce is making unnecessary trips anywhere. Take a look at your regular deliveries to see if you can work out an optimal route to take and make fewer stops.
4. Consider slowing down. The optimum driving speed for maximising fuel consumption is 55mph and sticking to this speed (obviously only where legal and safe to do so!) could potentially save your business around 15% of its current fuel expenditure.
5. Speak to your employees and find out where they feel savings can be made and involve them in any consultation. After all, they are the ones who will actually be driving the routes and their advice will be essential.