Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. It isn’t always a great idea to rush headlong into your own business as a student straight away. You may have limited time due to your studies and running a business is a very time-consuming activity that sometimes has very little financial reward. It might be better for you to get a job first and learn the ropes.
2. Understand the area of expertise that your business will operate in. This may involve doing unpaid work experience or conducting research into that industry just to get your foot in the door.
3. Accept that you will probably have to do everything by yourself to make your business a success, because it is not likely that a student will be able to pay someone to do things for them. This may involve filling many different roles within your company such as salesperson and customer support.
4. It is always a worthwhile experience to work with someone you admire. Try to locate a suitable business mentor to guide you through the process of starting your first business.
5. Don’t use the fact that you are a student as an excuse not to get out there and start running a business. Even if you don’t become a big success, the fact that you even tried will look good on your C.V. when you graduate.