Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. As a small business, you have the opportunity and freedom to innovate with a lot less restrictions than many of your larger rivals. A lot of the really radical business ideas and premises have been pioneered by the SME sector.
2. Make sure that your social skills are up to par. As a small business owner you will probably be doing much of the negotiation over contracts etc. all by yourself. If you have trouble convincing people to see your side of a situation, you may need to study negotiation techniques.
3. Work from home rather than commuting to an office. A shared space is good for sharing and developing ideas, but with the advent of cloud computing and other technology it is no longer imperative for the whole team to be in the same room.
4. Cut costs wherever possible if you want to remain competitive. Bootstrap everything you can until your business is making a profit because any business that doesn’t is destined to fail.
5. Finally, as a small business owner, remember to be proud about everything you do and have achieved. Rather than take the easy option and take a salary from someone else you chose a very risky option and should be commended.