Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. If your business is hit with a disaster that causes damage on the scale of Sandy, the superstorm that battered the East Coast of the U.S. last week, make sure that you document all the damage that has been done to your premises.
2. Try to keep everybody informed about what is going on, especially employees and customers. If it is safe for them to come to work or shop then you should let them know via email and social media.
3. Your cashflow is going to be seriously affected in the short-term. Make sure that your bank and any creditors are informed about the situation.
4. Work closely with suppliers. You may need more stock if your current lot is damaged and might not be able to pay suppliers until the insurance company reimburses you, so you will have to rely on their goodwill.
5. Think positive going forward. Use the disaster as an opportunity to change everything you were unhappy with in your business and start afresh.