Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. Your business needs a policy that applies to the archival of incoming communication. Don’t assume that your employees will automatically keep their email or post for a set amount of time unless there are clear guidelines in place.
2. Make sure that your business complies with any legislation that has an effect on data retention. Certain communication such as financial records may have to be kept for at least the minimum amount of time plus data protection laws demand that certain employee records are disposed of after a set period.
3. Don’t just apply the policy here and there. For it to be successful you have to be consistent across all levels of your organisation and make sure everyone is on board with the policy.
4. You will also have to ensure that the policy is effectively communicated to all employees or else it will likely lead to errors or mishandling of data.
5. Once the policy is in place it should be properly enforced at all levels of the company. Make sure everyone understands their responsibility when it comes to archiving communications.