Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. Hashtags are widely used on social media, especially on Twitter, but have now been adopted by many other social media platforms too. A hashtag is used to collect a series of messages from an individual or a group of people.
2. If you plan on using hashtags as part of a social media campaign for your business, make sure you understand why you are using them and what you hope to accomplish by using them. Nothing makes it easier to spot a business that doesn’t get social media than one which fails spectacularly at hashtagging!
3. Use hashtags that are short and concise. Combining too many words into one hashtag just makes difficult reading for your audience and more opportunities for them to make spelling errors.
4. Once you have a hashtag that works for you, make sure it is on all of your promotional material. You may have noticed that many TV shows now have a hashtag at the beginning to try and spark discussion.
5. Remember that once your hashtag is out there in the wilds of social media you effectively have no control over it whatsoever. Some companies (usually only those that have infuriated or offended a group of people) have found their hashtags hijacked with negative comments. This is one of the risks you face – so be good!