Top 5 Tips posts from the SME Blog are always full of hints and tips for small, home & micro business owners.
1. Plan for the bad weather and expect it. For small businesses in Britain, this is the fifth year running that they will have experienced disruption from snow and there is not really any excuse for not having an action plan in place for employees.
2. Keep up-to-date with all the traffic alerts and public transport disruptions for your region. If customers have no real way of physically reaching your business it might not be worth your time to struggle in and open shop.
3. Make sure that you keep staff well informed about whether your business will be open and if you expect them in or not. Likewise, you should expect to be informed as early as possible if they can’t make it.
4. In some cases staff will be unable to attend work even if you are able to get in, for example if they need to look after their children because of school closure. Employees don’t have to be paid if they don’t turn up to work, so discuss with them whether they would like to take unpaid or annual leave.
5. Encourage a culture change in your business to allow them to work from home. Just make sure that they have all the business apps and infrastructure that they require to do their job!