Small business owners have a very finite amount of time in their working day, yet it seems like the list of tasks they must complete grows constantly. Social media has become another one of those “must-do” daily tasks for the average entrepreneur. But how can you avoid simply wasting time on social media and maximise your return on investment instead? Here are our Top 5 Tips:
1. Firstly, make sure that you know exactly what you hope to achieve by being on social media. There is no point simply jumping into it with no plan or long-term goals. Perhaps you want to raise awareness of your brand or promote a specific product? That’s a good start, but try to think about clever ways of spreading your message without being pushy.
2. Don’t spread yourself too thin. Choose one or perhaps two social media platforms and make them the focus of your social activities. There are a lot of options available to you, but if you try to go ahead with all of them at once then you must expect diminishing returns. Look for the social network where most of your customers are and make that your priority.
3. Try to conduct social media marketing in your own voice, rather than impersonal broadcasts from your company. The point of social media is to show people the face behind your business – even large enterprises are discovering that their approach to marketing is changing to a more direct one-to-one interaction.
4. Make sure that you are showing up in feeds on a regular basis. People will soon forget about your company if you abandon your social media page every few weeks. Of course, you don’t want to go to the other extreme either and pop up in their feed every few minutes. Be sensible about your posts and, if need be, schedule content to be released when you are away.
5. It’s easy to get distracted from the task at hand by getting involved in discussions on social media. Set limits to your usage and try to evaluate how successful your campaigns are by using analytics tools.