Running a business without any formal procedures in place might seem cool and trendy, but when your enterprise begins to grow and problems start to occur you will soon see why having written procedures are an essential part of running any business. Here are our Top 5 Tips for establishing procedures:
1. Entrepreneurs are often adverse to formal business structures as they can sometimes stifle creativity. However, it is important to remember that proper written procedures are the best way to ensure that you remain in control of your business – they will provide consistency to everything that occurs within it and sometimes will be required by law.
2. When you are putting them down in writing, it is always a good idea to include and consult with the people who best understand the procedures and are currently involved in them on a daily basis. They will have an insight into them that is probably even more detailed and precise than your own.
3. Break down procedures into simple checklists that can easily be followed. These checklists should make it possible for everyone in your organisation to be able to follow procedure without any detailed knowledge of a particular process.
4. There are numerous techniques that can be used to make the procedures even easier to follow. Graphics and flowcharts will often explain things better than written words ever could.
5. Keep it short wherever possible. Readers are likely to look at a large block of text and switch off without taking in all the information. Small chunks of information are more digestible, especially if punctuated by bullet points.